Thursday, February 11, 2010

Black History in Music!

With the month moving along I thought that I would add some wonderful people who have impacted Black History. This week I am focusing on music. Although there are many who have made their mark in the music industry I am just going to focus on a few oldies but goodies.

So let's begin our musical journey with non other than the great Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Born 1907 died 1971. He was one of the greatest jazz musicians in his time. One of his most wonderful songs that touch my heart is "What a wonderful World" Here is the link that you can see him singing the song.



I am listing a few of his most famous songs for you to check out and I hope you enjoy listening to them as much as I have.

"When the Saints go Marching In!" I am sure that the Saints football team used this song when they arrived home after winning the superbowl last weekend!


Hello Dolly!

Here is a song that I did not know that he sang and that was "Bare Necessities" for Disney's Jungle Book movie.

B.B. King was another one of those great jazz musicians.
bbking

This link has information about BB and also a link to you tube in order to listen to some of his music.
This one link is easier to set up then to give you many to choose from. I leave the choice to you in order to listen to his music. There are so many wonderful musicians that I just don't have enough room to list them all.

Nat King Cole is another great who's life was cut way to short. I also enjoy listening to his daughter Natalie Cole who did a wonderful duet rendition of the song "Unforgettable"
See full size image


Duke Ellington is another great!



Here are a few famous woman that made their mark with music and singing.

Billie Holiday
Billie Holiday

Here is one of her famous songs, "Pennies from Heaven"

A movie was also made about her life if you get a chance to check it out it is called the "The Lady Sings the Blues" starring Diana Ross. I have seen the movie and I recommend it for older high school children since their is more of an adult theme. But all in all a very good movie to see. They portray her struggles in the world and her wonderful soulful music.

Another famous woman singer is Dorothy Dandrige.
Dorothy Dandridge

She played in many singing roles in the movies as well the famous "Carmen Jones"
She also had a movie made about her life and struggles being and actress and singer. Halle Barry portrayed her in " Introducing Dorathy Dandridge " I look at her pictures and see how much Halle Barry really does look like her also they are both natives of Ohio.

Here is clip of the movie where Dorothy played Carmen one of the most famous scenes. Also her costar was Harry Belafonte.

Here is clip from the movie with Halle Barry.

This little clip of the movie shows how she had to overcome so many racial discriminations. The movie is also very good but should be viewed by older high schoolers.

There are two more great woman that I would like to highlight and that would be Aretha Franklin nicknamed the "Queen of Soul" !


The link below has some information about aretha

One of her most famous songs "Respect"

The last woman we are going to showcase is Mihalia Jackson.
I have added this video of Mihalia Jackson since her song was one of the most powerful in the civil rights movement. It was recorded in the 1960's. There are many others that are also on the link but I feel this one is the most important for us to remember.


Here is a link to so many more wonderful greats that have made their mark in music history. Some of those include, Stevie Wonder, Prince, Cab Calloway, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, John Coltrane, etc.

I hope these links and information help us to never forget the struggles that those that came before us have endured. Never forget that they fought for the freedom that you are so lucky to have today. Those freedoms include the ability to use the front doors to get into stores, movie theaters, etc. Also the ability to pick the profession that you want weather that be actor, singer, producer, doctor, lawyer, etc.

I hope to put this information at your fingertips to make studying so much easier.

Enjoy and I will be posting more famous Black Historians!

No comments:

Post a Comment